Pacifist is a powerful multi-tool for working with macOS package files, disk images, and file archives. Using Pacifist, you can:
open a wide variety of file archives, including:
- macOS .pkg package files,
- .dmg disk images,
- macOS asset catalogs,
- Mac OS 9 Installer Tome files, and
- .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .xar, and .yaa archives,
- examine and extract individual files and folders,
- inspect install scripts and other package resources to make sure that a package is trustworthy before installing it,
- analyze existing installations on your system, to help you determine who installed a particular file on your system,
- view archive contents straight from the Finder via QuickLook,
- view and extract files from archives via your choice of a slick GUI or an automation-friendly command-line interface, and even
- inspect the contents of .zip files (and other supported types) over the Web without downloading the entire archive first.
For version 4, Pacifist has been rewritten from the ground up in Swift 5 with a focus on multi-threadedness, resulting in a lot of performance and user-experience improvements.
Pacifist is compatible with macOS and higher, including macOS Pacifist is optimized for Apple Silicon, and also works on 64-bit Intel™ processors.